This Page

has been moved to new address

Dead Tree + Fake Flower Awesomeness

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Domestic Imperfection: Dead Tree + Fake Flower Awesomeness

Friday, July 1, 2011

Dead Tree + Fake Flower Awesomeness

Pottery Barn had some beautiful blooming branches in their spring catalog. I love how they look, but dang...they're expensive! So I decided to make my own blossoming branches. Now, if I lived somewhere else I could have gone outside, snipped some perfect branches, and called it a day. BUT...I live in South Texas and where trees consist mostly of scraggly cedar bushes. While looking online for a cheaper version if the PB branches, an idea started to form. I planted a live oak in the backyard a little while back and it totally didn't make it...


I know its hard to see, but its there, right in the middle, dead as a doornail.  Sooo...I chopped it down, brought it inside and got out my glue gun. I don't have any pictures of the process because this was a pre-blog project, but basically all I did was get some faux pink flowers and glue them to my dead little tree. My goal was to make it look like a blossoming cherry that you see in springtime. I'm not sure if it looks like that, but I like it anyway. And it only cost about 5 bucks (suck it Pottery Barn!) For the base I found a tall glass thingy at Ross and filled it with rocks from our gravel pit...here is the finished product!









While we're on the subject of fake trees - I have a bonus project to show you!

I like to paint - though I'm not particularily good ant it and won't attemept anything thats not abstact. I wanted a tall painting for the blank little hallway between the living room and our bedroom. Since I'm on a tree kick I decided to paint...a tree! My inspiration came from this painting I found on Etsy....


My tree looks quite a bit different...I really
 just liked the way the leaves looked in the one above. And that it looked easy. Easy is good.
Here is mine!





The Etsy painting cost $225...mine cost $20! Whoop whoop!

Linked to:

AskAnna...                                                                        SomedayCrafts                                                                                                   The DIY Showoff                                                             Savvy Southern Style                                              
Keeping It Simple                                                             Handy Man, Crafty Woman
Boogieboard Cottage                                                      Sew Much Ado                                                                     
Polly Want A Crafter                                                       The Thrifty Home                    
The DIY Home Sweet Home                                Passionately Artistic
Somo's Sweet Stuff                                                          House of Hepworths                                
Making the World Cuter                                    The Shabby Chic Cottage
Me Making Do                                                Somewhat Simple
Mad in Crafts                                                  Fireflies & Jellybeans
Craft-O-Maniac                                               504 Main                                                        
Dittle Dattle                                                    Skip to my Lou
Life Made Lovely                                             Finding Fabulous                      
Coastal Charm                                                 Design it Chic     
Hope Studios                                                  The Shabby Nest
Todays Creative Blog                                       Fingerprints on the Fridge                                                        
Sugar Bee Crafts                                              Chic on a Shoestring             
Not Just a Housewife                                        Remodelaholic
Funky Polkadot Giraffe                                      Just a Girl                          
The Blackberry Vine                                         Tidy Mom
Be Colorful                                                     At the Picket Fence                                             
Tip Junkie                                                      Addicted 2 Decorating
Momma Hen                                                   Tatertots & Jello
Homework                                                      Lolly Jane
DIY by Design                                                Nifty Thrifty Things
I Heart Nap Time                                             Thirty Days
Thrifty Decor Chick                                         At Home With K
Craftionary                                                                     Saved By Love

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

At July 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM , Blogger Katie said...

That's hilarious! I love that you just pulled up your dead tree! I've been dying to make a little stick/flower project - along with 10,000 other projects!! Looks cute!

 
At July 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Elisa said...

Awesome tree! Both of 'em.

 
At July 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM , Blogger Anna said...

I LOVE it! WAY less messing and way prettier then a live oak tree. We had huge oak trees at our last house and they were a huge pain.

Thank you for sharing at the Weekend Warrior Link Party.

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com

 
At July 4, 2011 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

I love that tree! I think my cats would love it, too, or I'd attempt it myself! LOL You are very talented!

 
At July 4, 2011 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Mimi Moseley said...

Great idea! And it is so big. Way to go!

 
At July 4, 2011 at 7:54 PM , Blogger Catherine @ Cat on a Limb said...

Beautifully done, with both projects!

 
At July 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM , Blogger Coley said...

I'm normally not a fan of fake flowers, but I LOVE this tree! It is so dang cute!

 
At July 5, 2011 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

That is too funny! I would so do the same thing! I loved how it turned out! I am your newest follower! I would love it if you would stop by and follow back if you like what you see! Have a great day!

Kirsten
www.mushkiloves.blogspot.com

 
At July 5, 2011 at 4:37 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

what a great idea.

 
At July 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Carolyn said...

Your "new" tree looks amazing. I would love for you to share this project on my Inspiration Board.
http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/07/inspiration-board-link-party.html

carolyn | homework

 
At July 5, 2011 at 5:37 PM , Blogger Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

Your dead/fake tree looks BEAUTIFUL. I am definitely going to have to make one. Thank you for linking up at http://diyhshp.blogspot.com I can not wait to see more great ideas next Monday.

 
At July 5, 2011 at 8:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

wow! Great work! WW gets better and better every week !

 
At July 6, 2011 at 5:48 AM , Blogger SkinnyMeg said...

Wow, that is awesome! What a great idea and I love love love the impact it has! Great job!!

 
At July 6, 2011 at 7:26 AM , Blogger Barbara Pilcher said...

Talk about making lemonade when given lemons. I am sure I will be using this idea in the future.

I don't have any problems with fake flowers. They make them so convincing now, and yours look especially good. I always recommend faux flowers and plants for home staging because ... well, they don't die on you!

You can be proud of your painting, too.

Hope you're staying cool in Texas. Thanks for sharing. I found you at Handy Man Crafty Woman.

 
At July 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Maggie Lamarre said...

Your tree looks wonderful..
Don't forget to add it to our weekly party for our readers to discover.
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/07/weekly-talent-search-with-linking-party.html
Thanks
Maggie

 
At July 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM , Blogger Leanne Hoge said...

Ashley, your projects are amazing and I love reading your blog! Also, I'm totally stealing some of these projects. You should be honored. :)

 
At July 7, 2011 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

You totally nailed the spring cherry tree goal! Adorable! Thanks for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

 
At July 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Brandi said...

I LOVE your blossoming cherry tree! You did an awesome job your painting too.

 
At July 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM , Anonymous cindy said...

This is beautiful - I love it. What a great idea.

 
At July 10, 2011 at 4:51 PM , Blogger Be Colorful Coastal said...

Two for One! Gotta love that. Your projects are both fun and something I have ( the painting) and wil ( the tree) try out. Thanks so much for linking up to Motivated Monday this week. I will be featuring your post tomorrow.
Pam

 
At July 11, 2011 at 7:55 AM , Blogger Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

So fun and so pretty! Well done!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home