This Page

has been moved to new address

Dining Room Curtain Project

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Domestic Imperfection: Dining Room Curtain Project

Friday, June 17, 2011

Dining Room Curtain Project

This project actually took me almost a month to complete, from picking out fabric and brainstorming about how to make the curtain rod to only really being able to work during nap time. I love the way it turned out though! Here is the before picture. Well, its not a true before picture...remember the pink walls, card table and horrible light fixture from earlier posts? Anyway it's pretty dark picture(so is the after) because I can't figure out how to take a picture of a window and have it not turn out dark. Anyone have any tips? Here it is in all its glory...

The first step was to figure out how the heck to hang a curtain rod. It's a four window bay rather than the standard three, so I couldn't find anything online. Plus all the spacing between the windows is different....nice right? So off to Home Depot it was to try and create something. Four trips and a week later I had my solution. I bought four pieces of electrical conduit, four packs of wooden rod hangers and some plastic tubing. Oh, and a hacksaw. The cheapest one I could find ($3)...which turned out to be a not so good idea.  First step was to measure and cut all the conduit. I measured from crease to crease and took off about 3.5 inches to leave room for the joints.

And here is why the $3 hacksaw was a bad idea...it kept falling apart! It this about six times during the cutting process. I know what your thinking..."wait did you even have that many cuts to make?" All I have to say to that is thank you for assuming I get everything right the first time.  I actually make about 15 cuts because I thought "eyeballing it" would be sufficient.

Luckily my little helper was there there to encourage me....

I put the plastic tubing in the joints to make sure the curtain tabs wouldn't fall between the cracks and here is what it looks like finished...


Next step...make the curtains. After a few rejects I ended up choosing a grey/blue chevron pattern I bought off of fabric.com. I bought 15 yards and had juuuuust enough. I had to make back-tab curtains to that I could lace them around the hardware and have a clean finished look. I'd never made them before so I just winged (wung?) it. First I made the tabs by cutting 4 inch strips, folding in half and sewing. I did it this was so it would have a nice edge when I turned them pattern side out. Not that it mattered because they are hidden anyway. That's my perfectionist tendencies shining through.

Here they are finished (yes, I pressed them). I made eight for each curtain for a total of 40.

Next I hemmed all the four edges of each curtain, which was definitely the least fun part of this project. Well, that and getting all my cuts wrong ;).  Then I folded down the top edge of the curtain (4.5 inches) and pinned the bottom part of the tabs to the edge, sewing the tabs and seam all at once. For the top of the tabs I folded them over to be even with the top of the curtain and sewed them individually.

 Here is a view of the back of the curtains all hung up...

 And here it is finished! My casual dining room looks much more "grand" now!!





The grand total for this project ended up being just under $100. Not bad considering I've seen the same curtains (shorter, rod pocket) selling for $150 a pair on etsy. Hmm...maybe I should sell curtains...

I still have big plans for this dining room. We (okay, the husband) is going to build a Pottery Barn inspired table that seats eight and I'm dreaming of the seagrass dining chairs from World Market. It might be awhile before that happens though, as that part of the project will NOT cost under $100.

Linked to:

Between Naps on the PorchKeeping It SimpleRunning With GlitterHomemaker On A DimeDittle Dattle,  The Tattered TagThe DIY ShowoffHome SavvyBe ColorfulThe DIY Home Sweet HomeMad In CraftsThe Girl CreativePolly Want A CrafterSumos Sweet StuffMaking The World CuterLines Across My Face,  Coastal CharmSkip To my LouCherished BlissConfessionsMy Uncommon Slice Of SuburbiaTip JunkieCreative ItchTopsy TurvySassy Sites!A Bowl Full Of LemonsMe and My BoysSugar Bee CraftsBella Before and AfterNot Just A HousewifeOops I Craft My PantsHomeworkBlue Cricket DesignSew Much AdoEisy MorganMy Girlish Whims,    Savvy Southern StyleSomeday CraftsWomen Who Do It AllHandy Man Crafty WomanThe Thrifty HomeLil LunaSaved By LoveFireflies & JellybeansRemodelaholicSerenity NowLolly JanedelicateCONSTRUCTIONChic On A Shoestring504 MainDesigner GardenHappy Hour ProjectsFrench Country CottageThe Shabby NestFun To CraftFingerprints o the FridgeFreckled LaundryBe Different Act NormalTatertots and JelloNifty Thrifty ThingsI Heart Nap Time

  
            























Labels: , , ,

42 Comments:

At June 17, 2011 at 3:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a good wife! Clipping coupons, being crafty, and now blogging. Not to mention the bun in the oven. I want to come see this in person! What are y'alls plans near the end of July?
```Robin

 
At June 17, 2011 at 4:30 PM , Anonymous Jessica White said...

It looks SO GOOD!!! Great job Ashley!! Love the blog!

 
At June 18, 2011 at 2:23 PM , Anonymous michelle@decorandthedog said...

Your curtains are BEAUTIFUL!!

I feel your pain on cutting conduit! We borrowed a pipe cutter...didn't go well. It was worth it for the cost savings!

 
At June 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating said...

Visiting from Remodelaholic. Your curtains make the room look more finished. And I love the color palette and the chevron pattern. Nice work!

 
At June 20, 2011 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Elle said...

Love the chevron pattern...looks so much nice with curtains!

 
At July 2, 2011 at 1:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Those look awesome! I never would have thought about making a continuous rod! The chevron print is so cute also!

 
At July 2, 2011 at 3:21 AM , Blogger Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

Great transformation!!
Thank you so much for linking it up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week as well!
xoxo,
Vanessa

 
At July 12, 2011 at 9:06 AM , Blogger n*stitches said...

Great way to hand curtains around a corner. My mom and I were looking for an inexpensive solution to her bay window!

 
At July 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Blogger a little tweaked said...

You just solved my problem!!! I've been wanting to make curtains for the bay window in my front room and didn't want to fork out the big bucks for the fancy curved curtain rod! I'm running to Home Depot as soon as it stops raining!! Thank You!!!

 
At July 13, 2011 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I am stopping by from TDC - what a difference curtains make! I love the look and the fabric you chose is awesome!

 
At July 17, 2011 at 10:59 PM , Blogger Cathleen said...

Why do you need a new table? The whole space looks great!

 
At July 24, 2011 at 12:20 AM , Blogger Mrs. Martin said...

Very very cute!

 
At September 23, 2011 at 8:23 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

Beautiful!! You did an amazing job on those curtains! I would have never had the patience to set all those little tabs. The whole is just perfect!

 
At September 23, 2011 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Ashley...

Wow...I am sooo impressed! What a job you took on...to make the drapery rods and the drapes! It turned out sooo beautiful though! What a creative and talented lady you are, my friend! You have a beautiful dining room...I just love the walls of windows...FABULOUS!!!

Thank you for sharing your lovely home with us! I'm coming over from Jena's Roomspiration party.

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

 
At September 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM , Anonymous elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Beautiful job! I am so impressed you made the curtain rods and the curtains. They both look fabulous and you can't beat less than $100. Way to go!

 
At September 24, 2011 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

Ashley, the new curtains look beautiful and at such a great price! I love the fabric you chose. It looks great with the wall color and really accentuates your gorgeous windows. I can also feel your pain sawing through metal with a hack saw...it's totally nails on a chalk board! Thanks so much for linking up to Roomspiration!

 
At September 25, 2011 at 11:49 PM , Blogger Patsy said...

Your new curtains are very pretty and that was genius the way you connected the conduit around the curves. You saved yourself a fortune making those rods. I have a question though, what did you use at the end of the rods? I can't tell from looking at the photo's. Thanks

 
At September 26, 2011 at 3:53 AM , Blogger Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

This looks great!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

 
At September 26, 2011 at 8:19 AM , Blogger annies home said...

love the open window feeling and the blue and white looks great oh my so elegant come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

 
At September 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Decor To Adore said...

Oh I just love your drapes! I hope you will add your lovely metamorphosis to my Fall in Love linky party on Wednesday.

Until then, stop by and see the under $20 makeover I gave an ugly brass light fixture.

Happy Monday!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Jamie said...

Your window looks awesome! I love the curtain rod idea!

~JamieS@ Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom

 
At September 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection said...

Patsy - For the ends I wrapped the curtains around the end of the rod and then added a carpet tack to secure the curtains to the wall. I didn't want the gap between the curtains and the wall to be the first thing you see when you walk in, plus it makes the curtains look fuller.

 
At September 26, 2011 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Erika said...

The curtains are great. I also take the sides to wall (above comment).

I hope you are able to stop by and share at the It’s a Wrap Link Party at Artful Rising

Erika

 
At September 26, 2011 at 8:31 PM , Blogger cherished bliss said...

These look great! And I love your table! : ) Thanks for sharing at Craft and Tell!

 
At September 27, 2011 at 10:45 AM , Blogger Just Jaime said...

The homemade rod is genius!

 
At September 27, 2011 at 8:38 PM , Blogger Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I love your homemade rod, it's so pretty in that gorgeous room with all the windows!!!
XOXO
Kristin

 
At September 28, 2011 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Shannon @FairfaceWashcloths said...

Wow - your curtains are gorgeous! Adds just the right touch and feel to your beautiful room!
shannonsews.blogspot.com

 
At September 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Bailey K. | Travel Heals said...

wow, these are perfect! and i can't believe you made that rod! way to go! glad you had your helper with you! ;)

i would love for you to come link up this or any other amazing project at my creativity party going on right now!

letbirdzfly.blogspot.com

thanks so much for sharing!

 
At September 28, 2011 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Keren Duchan said...

very nice! I might try that hidden loops trick. I usually let the loops be seen but this is prettier. I bought cheap curtain rods at IKEA - just need to move my butt and sew the actual curtains!

 
At September 29, 2011 at 9:01 PM , Blogger a life made sweet... said...

i just wanted to say thank you for showing your curtain rod idea.. i have a wall of window and the cheapest rod i could find was $350.00... way way over my budget. i am going to be brave and attempt to make one myself.. and i will splurge on the hacksaw. ;-) thanks for showing us.. they look fab!!

 
At September 29, 2011 at 11:22 PM , Blogger Kimberly T. said...

Your room is beautiful! What a transformation! I really like your fabric choice.

 
At September 30, 2011 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Rica said...

Awesome job on the diy curtain rods & curtains definitely gives the room a more glam feel.

 
At October 1, 2011 at 9:35 PM , Blogger Abbey D. said...

Wow, your curtains turned out darling! You did a wonderful job.

 
At October 3, 2011 at 11:05 AM , Blogger Be Colorful Coastal said...

Ah chevron. I'm definitely a fan. Just wanted you to know that my post was late today but I did feature you this week on Motivated Monday at BeColorful
Pam

 
At October 4, 2011 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Fabulous! I've never used conduit - great idea! And thanks so much for sharing the underneath/behind pics.

Dropping by from TDC's Before & After.

 
At October 5, 2011 at 1:21 PM , Blogger cherished bliss said...

Featured these on my facebook! Love them so much : )

facebook.com/cherishedbliss

 
At October 5, 2011 at 5:42 PM , Blogger Nikki said...

Love your fabric. We are closing on a house we bought at auction tomorrow. Lots of DYI in my future. Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At December 31, 2011 at 6:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your curtains are so lovely and your step-by-step is wonderful. I pinned this project to my DIY board!!!

 
At February 15, 2012 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Jen C. said...

Hi there! Stumbled over from Someday Crafts and your Pantry (gorg!). I have used and will be using conduit piping again for curtains. What a great idea - yes?!? I share a similar corner issue, but was considering the metal conduit elbows. Is the plastic piping you found flexible, or rather a hard PVC sort? Did it come as an elbow, or were you able to bend it? I'm really interested in knowing just how you did it!! Thanks! I'm over at http://todoimmeasurablymore.blogspot.com. Also, thanks for the back tab reminder - so much cheaper than the curtain clips - and they'll stay on! Great effort!

 
At February 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection said...

Hi Jen! I tried to use the metal elbows, but could never find the right angle. The piping I used is flexible and comes straight, but bends fairly easily. To stuff it inside the conduit I left about an inch extra on each side and cut a long skinny triangle out as to make it a tight fit. Does that make sense? Good luck on your curtains and feel free to ask any questions you have along the way!

 
At February 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM , Blogger Jen C. said...

Ashley, thank you sooo much for that information!! You have inspired me to tackle a set of windows that I have been putting off due to the corners. The tips will be helpful! Thanks for getting back to me, and so quickly!! Now I have no reason to procrastinate! :-)

I am also linking up with Linky!

 
At March 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM , Anonymous Christine said...

Oooh they turned out great! I'm aiming to make curtains for our living room at some point in the future once I get more comfortable with my sewing machine. I love the idea of the back tabs. Thanks for the tutorial :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home