This Page

has been moved to new address

The Less Mess Project

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Domestic Imperfection: The Less Mess Project

Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Less Mess Project

Happy 2012 y'all!
A new year is here and I have a goal. Actually I have a lot of goals, but the one I'm going to talk about is one of simplification and organization. Ah, simplification and organization, I sound so eloquent. What I meant is that my house if full of crap. 
It's the in your face kind, I hide it away like a true professional. My closets are a mess. The pantry makes me cringe. If Google knew how many junk drawers I had they wouldn't have let me start a decorating blog. At least the name fits. 
So, I welcome you to the Less Mess Project. You get to read about me cleaning and purging my house.... I couldn't think of a better way for you to spend you time, lol. I've already started a bit, I donated about half of my wardrobe and gotten rid of most of my makeup. Let's be real here... I'm a stay at home mom of two, I wear yoga pants, a t-shit, a ponytail, and no makeup most of the time. Plus my closet consisted of a lot of stuff from high school, and in high school I shopped at Goodwill. So yeah. 

So today I'm going to show you some embarrassing pictures. These are my least organized spaces....

The pantry:
It's a total cramped mess and I can't find anything. Also, it's still pink from when we bought the house. I'm picturing a white wall with a stencil in the same color as the kitchen cabinets, glass jars, wicker and wire baskets, and a screen door (also in the cabinet color).


The linen closet:
Also still pink, and also a disaster. It's a huge closet but the space isn't used wisely. Elijah loves to come in here and tear the closet apart, hence the floor mess. I used to coupon before I had kids and that's why there is a huge stash of body wash and feminine things...
I don't have a clear view of what I want in here beyond painting and organizing. I'm sure I'll come up with something though.


Craft closet:
Located in the guest room. I stuff everything in here....the pictures don't do it justice because the sliding doors get the way, but it's chock full of small thrifting finds and craft supplies. Hey, and least it's not pink, right?
I'm wanting to take off the doors and turn it into a mini craft room. Maybe a little desk/workspace, lots of shelves and bins, and yellow and white fabric curtains to hide it all.



Kitchen junk drawers and cabinet:
Pretty self explanatory, the single cabinet above it is also a junk cabinet. I really just need to clean them out and keep them clean. 


Shelf that collects everything in the master bedroom:
This shelf is really just our catch all. It's annoying because unlike all my other problem areas, its out in the open. I'd like to get rid of it all together (it's cheap and the back is glorified cardboard) and replace it with an uber organized thrifted piece that I refinish.



And there you have it.... if those pictures don't make you feel better about yourself and the state of your house than I don't know what will. 

Here's to less mess in 2012!


Ashley


Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At January 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Jen @ Craftincowgirl said...

Please know that you are NOT the only one! My 3 kiddos think the entire house is their realm :o) My biggest problem is my craft room and bedroom. I have a desk right inside the bedroom door that collects towels, purse, change, clothes that don't fit, etc. My craft room is on a porch that's not heated, so in the winter my kitchen table is filled with glue, ink, etc. so it won't freeze :o( We need a support group!

 
At January 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM , Blogger Rica said...

My January Resolution is to get rid of all the excess crap, declutter & organize as well....1 step at a time. I just organized my junk drawer and cleaned out my car :) Good Luck!

 
At January 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM , Anonymous Insightful Mommy said...

Hi Ashley,

So true, so true!

I love this post, as it reveals how human us moms really are.

We are pulled in tons of different directions. I am going to try my best to get a bit more organized than I have been.

Though I think my DH, DS and DD will be pitching in quite a bit!

Great post!

 
At January 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Jenni Swenson said...

Ha! I love seeing imperfect rooms in blogland. Your best of 2011 was awe inspiring!

 
At January 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Jenni Swenson said...

Ha! I love seeing imperfect rooms in blogland. Your best of 2011 was awe inspiring!

 
At January 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Hi I'm Amanda said...

Not only will I follow along on your ride I'm doing my own purge. I'm printing off 5 minute a day ideas and making my mass list. But I must say... oh my am I jealous of that pantry! Most of my kitchen extras (9x13 pans and the like, serving bowls, crock pot, roaster) are not stored in my kitchen and I highly dislike it.

 
At January 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Man do I hear you. And, I love seeing your mess :) Thanks for keeping it real!

I do not have it "under control" - but I do have a better control of the clutter.

I decided perhaps I should break things down into 31 Minute chunks for myself. And, it worked pretty well.

You can read Day 1 of the 31 Day series here - http://www.cookingatcafed.com/2011/10/31-days-31-minutes-to-more-organized.html

There's lots more to do, but there's some pretty nice progress.

Hope it helps!
~ Dana
Cooking at Cafe D

 
At January 11, 2012 at 2:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha! I'm glad to see you posting the "imperfect" pictures...thats what mine always are:-)

What a great challenge for the year!

 
At January 11, 2012 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

Wow, these are some great goals, it will be so fun to see them all come together! A few blog friends and I introduced a new challenge idea Monday and it would be so fun if you want to join. If you have a second, check in at http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/imagine-the-impossibilities-challenge/ to learn more, and feel free to email me if you have any questions!
Karah @ thespacebetweenblog

 
At February 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM , Blogger Laura's Crafty Life said...

I am working on this in my house as well. Our house is not huge and we are busting at the seams. I am hoping if we can purge our house won't feel so small! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home