This Page

has been moved to new address

How To Make an Envelope Closure Pillow

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Domestic Imperfection: How To Make an Envelope Closure Pillow

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How To Make an Envelope Closure Pillow


After posting my chair redo earlier this week, I thought I might share with you how I made the pillow. This is a super simple sewing project and a great place to start if your new to sewing. If your not new to sewing than just keep on moving - I don't want you picking apart my amateur tutorial!  : )

* First pick your fabric. This is the best part! Don't be afraid to go with something bold, its just a throw pillow and is so easy to change whenever the mood strikes.

* Measure and cut your fabric. For a 16 x 16 pillow you should cut one square at 17 x 17 and one at 17 x 25. The second piece must be wider to accommodate the overlay of the envelope closure.
 

* Here is what your pieces should look like. Helpful hint - if you have hardwood floors like I do (or tile), use the lines in the wood to cut straight lines.

(I know the bottom piece here doesn't look like a square, but it is, I promise)

* Next, cut your wider piece in half.

* At this point I broke out the iron, but it's not a must - you could just use pins for this step. Fold over and press (or pin) the long edge of the pieces you just cut. This will make the finished edge on the envelope closure.

* Bust out the sewing machine and stitch along the inner edge of the fold. You could hand stitch this if you don't have a machine. Buying a machine doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg, I bought mine six years ago for $60 and it does everything I need. Plus its blue...bonus!

* If your stitching isn't exactly straight, don't worry about it. See how the top piece is kinda crooked? I put that one on the inside of the envelope... no one will ever see it.

* Place your pieces together with the printed sides on the inside and envelopes toward the center.

* Pin the edges to keep everything straight while your sewing. You don't have to go crazy here, 3-4 pins on a side is more than enough.

* Sew around the perimeter of the pillow. When you come to a corner just lift the foot on the machine, turn your pillow, and keep going. It's best to keep one continuous stitch.

* Cut off the excess material from the edges. If your stitch is very near the edge this may not be necessary.

* Square off the corners. This will make for pointier corners than ones that have too much fabric in them.

* Turn your pillow cover right side out - here is how the envelope closure should look.

* That's it, just stuff in your pillow and your done!  Here is how the back will look when it is finished.
 
...And here is the front!

Hope that was helpful! Once you get this down its easy to start adding embellishments and whatnot - the possibilities are endless!


Linked to:

Labels: , ,

28 Comments:

At July 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Katie said...

You make it look so easy!! Love you fabric - and that color! You'd be so proud, I'm buying a sewing maching next month! I'm getting domesticated! =)

 
At July 21, 2011 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

This is just what I've been looking for! I've got the fabric, the pillows and the sewing machine; now I have instructions. Thank you.

And BTW - I love your little decorating blog. Such great ideas. I'm a new fan!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Shana said...

Love the pillow! Hi! Just stopping by. Following you from the You Like Me Friday Blog Hop. Would love a visit and a follow back on my blog: http://blog.writerslairbooks.com. Thanks! By the way, we are GIVING AWAY an IPAD 2 and would love for you to enter if you haven’t already! Nice to meet you!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 12:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ooooh, so cute! I must try these! I can never seem to find pillows in the right fabrics, and with these, I can change them as often as I like! Visiting and following via You Like Me Hop...hop over to my blog and follow back if you like!
http://mom4realky.blogspot.com

Jessica K

 
At July 23, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Grandma Bonnie said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I love the pillow.
New follower from the Boost my blog Friday hop.

 
At July 24, 2011 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Kerrye said...

I got myself a sewing machine for Christmas and am, frankly, scared to death of it. With lots of u-tube video's, I managed to get it threaded and bobbin'ed and all that stuff. Managed to sew some curtain panels together. And that's pretty much it... This actually looks like something I could (should) be able to do! ~Following from the Boost my Blog Friday Hop. Visit me and follow if you like: Kerrye @ http://impossiblecleanliness.blogspot.com

 
At July 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a cute pillow {and fun fabric}!! I'm not much of a sewer, but you make this look so easy! Thanks for great tutorial! xo, Reannah

 
At July 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM , Blogger the cape on the corner said...

looks great! love the fun fabric. i'm trying to debrown my living room, so i made some pillow covers out of napkins and fabric glue. basics!

 
At July 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

That looks "sew" easy! I've been wanting to do this, so thanks for the tutorial. :)

Visiting from www.hsdays.blogspot.com

 
At July 26, 2011 at 9:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make this look so easy! I might get the courage to try this sometime this week!

 
At July 26, 2011 at 7:38 PM , Blogger DIYbyDesign said...

I love that fabric. I have the same fabric in aqua in my daughter's room. Thanks for sharing at my Sizzle into Summer party.

 
At July 27, 2011 at 5:48 PM , Blogger Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Sew easy! Thanks for the idea and thank you for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

 
At July 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing how to do this - I am not a great sewer so your instructions are helpful.

 
At July 28, 2011 at 8:02 PM , Blogger Mindy @ Heart Maine Home said...

Great tutorial! I was so bad at sewing the holes closed on my first pillows that I'm really thinking the envelope is the way to go...I'll definitely bookmark this!

Oh, and I love your fabric!

 
At July 29, 2011 at 7:30 AM , Blogger Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Now I just need to suck it up and try it myself :)

 
At July 29, 2011 at 9:13 AM , Blogger Anna@Directions Not Included said...

I used the same tutorial for my first set of pillow cases. Such a great one for first time sewers! Thanks for sharing.

 
At July 29, 2011 at 1:20 PM , Blogger Alina said...

Thank you for posting this! I've looked at half a dozen envelope pillow tutorials and still couldn't get it. With yours it finally clicked! Thank you again!!!

 
At July 29, 2011 at 5:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is great! Unfortunately I don't have a sewing machine yet-but I'm hoping to get on for christmas! I would love it if you would link this up to my weekly link party Tutorial Tuesday!

Kari
Newlyweds on a Budget

 
At July 31, 2011 at 8:49 AM , Anonymous marda@http://www.bellecaketopperandmould.net/ said...

Thank you for sharing tutorial.....like it so much....:))

 
At July 31, 2011 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Great tutorial, and I just love that fabric! Thanks for sharing!

 
At July 31, 2011 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Christina said...

VERY cute...and what a great tutorial!

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! And thanks for linking back to my party too :)

 
At July 31, 2011 at 2:56 PM , Blogger Be Colorful Coastal said...

What a timely post for me. I am looking for pillows for my living room and not finding what I was looking for I am considering making them but didn't want to have to tackle the whole zipper thing. Thanks so much for the link up to Motivated Monday at BeColorful
Pam

 
At July 31, 2011 at 11:22 PM , Anonymous Rachel (Lines across my face) said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. It is easy to understand. I would love it if you would stop by and link up this post with the crafty link party I recently started at Lines Across My face.
:) Rachel
http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/07/craft-link-party-2-cure-for-common.html

 
At July 31, 2011 at 11:50 PM , Blogger Seaweed and Raine said...

Thanks for the tutorial! :) I cut out fabric about 9 years ago to make some the same... but I was too chicken to sew them. (I only just started sewing recently) You have inspired me to pull them out and give it a shot! :)

 
At August 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Kindra-At Home With K said...

I love this tutorial! And the fabric you used. :) I featured your project on my Terrific Under Ten Tuesday! http://athomewithk.blogspot.com/2011/08/terrific-under-ten-tuesday-25.html

 
At August 2, 2011 at 6:45 PM , Blogger Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

LOVE the fabric. More the Merrier Monday will be open until Wednesday at midnight. I would love for you to stop by and link up your pillow. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

 
At August 4, 2011 at 9:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Pretty pillow and easy to follow tutorial! Thank you for linking with Air Your Laundry Friday! xo Jami

 
At October 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM , Anonymous Custom Business Cards said...

Projects are beautiful. Lovely DL Envelopes Background.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home