This Page

has been moved to new address

Let The Renovations Begin!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Domestic Imperfection: Let The Renovations Begin!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Let The Renovations Begin!


This past weekend we started our kitchen renovation with the most fun part...painting cabinets! (Thats sarcasm, by the way).  Despite that fact that painting cabinets is sucky, I was stoked to get started. So here is a photo bomb post covering the process. It mostly consists of  a SUPER messy kitchen, me looking less than awesome, and my husbands back. And now that I have you all on the edge of your seat, lets begin.

Saturday morning - bright and early - the destruction begins. We started out by removing the drawers and doors, sanding, and priming. Elijah began the day by stuffing screws into the back of the oven.

Next we have photos of me painting. I also realize that this is the first time I've posted a picture of myself on this blog, and I can't have the first picture you see of me be a paint covered, no make-up, crazy hair disaster. First impressions are very important after all. So here is a good picture of me before I post all the terrible ones.

and now back to business...


Oh, and something else most of you didn't know...I'm pregnant. Significantly pregnant. I'm 30 weeks on the nose in these pics.

Here is the grey/blue slowly going on. We used Sherwin Williams Duration paint (in satin) and I was super impressed. It was really thin and didn't show brushstrokes, but also covered really well. I only had to do one coat of primer and two coats of paint. It dried super quick too.

but still, I spent allllll dayyyy painting.

We also bought new hinges. The old ones were a dirty brass and covered in this nasty clear resign. Of course, the new hinges used different holes, so rehanging doors took awhile.

That was Saturday...it was about 16 hours long.  Doing a kitchen remodel while working the toddler rodeo (while pregnant) makes for a very long day.


Sunday we started in on the upper cabinets. A while back I posted our inspiration photo for our upper cabinets. I wanted them to be ceiling height, but didn't want to spend the money for new ones. I also really like the look of open shelving, but an entire kitchen of open shelves just isn't practical. Hmmm, what to do? And then I came across this photo, and I was sold. We could use our current cabinets, add a lower shelf...custom look, minimal expense. Perfect.

While on the topic of inspiration photos, here is the photo that made me fall in love with the idea of stormy blue lowers.

Sunday morning our kitchen looked like this...
(I warned you about all the messy kitchen pics!)


Adam and his dad started removing the upper cabinets...this was way easier than I thought it would be. Did you know that a cabinet is literally just held on by four screws?

Elijah watched the destruction over a bowl of oatmeal...eaten with his hands, of course.

Here is the kitchen without any upper cabinets. I actually really liked the feel of this - if only that was a wall of windows...

There are the cabinets...waiting for me...

Once sanded and primed, they go right back up...

Way up. The small gap left at the top will eventually be covered with molding.

Then I did something totally unexpected...
That's right, I started painting. 

You may be wondering if I am wearing the same clothes two days in  a row. Why yes, yes I am. They're my painting clothes, I was painting. I'm not one of those people that can paint in nice clothes and come out of it unscathed. I'm messy. Normal people, take my husband for example, paint in regular clothes and then when they get a little drip somewhere they have to stop what they're doing, go get a rag, blah blah blah. ME? I wipe the drip up with my hand, wipe it on my clothes and keep going. Genius.

We also decided to raise the microwave so that the bottom will be even with the floating shelves. It only went up like two inches, so we can still reach it, no worries.

Let's not forget about the boy. Someone had to be on toddler duty...here is Uncle Taylor rockin some peek-a-boo.

This is what what we looked like Sunday evening. We couldn't hang the doors yet because I was still painting them. The white wasn't nearly as good to me as the blue was. It took five coats on those babies to have them look decent. That's five on each side, so it felt like ten. I didn't finish until yesterday (Tuesday) night. 

This is what it looks like Wednesday morning! Not an after picture by any means, but a huge improvement nonetheless.

Above the microwave we are going to do bead board and open shelving. 

There are two missing drawers because that cabinet is a sink base cabinet, which means the drawers were fake. Why? I have no idea...builders cutting corners I guess. Anyway, we're in the process of making drawers. Also, none of the lower cabinets had shelves (no pics, sorry) and everything has precariously balanced since we moved in. Now we have shelves...so nice!

I'm not going to paint where the cabinets used to be - that will all eventually be covered up by bead board. I can't show you a picture of the other side of the kitchen, that's where I had to push all the mess so that I could take pictures of this side :)

And that's where were at! I'm really loving the grey/blue lowers, I think it gonna look great once its all pulled together. Isn't it amazing that a coat of paint (well, a lot of coats of paint) can take crappy old cabinets to sleek and modern?

Linked to:

The Thrifty Home, CraftOManiac, Running With Glitter, Homemaker on a Dime, Dittle Dattle, The Girl Creative, Keeping It Simple, The DIY Home Sweet Home, Between Naps on the Porch, Savvy Home, Lines Across My FaceMaking the World CuterSumo's Sweet StuffMad In CraftsPolly Want A CrafterSarahndipities, Coastal CharmAll Thingz RelatedNothing But CountryThe Tattered TagReasons to Skip the HouseworkHomeworkTopsy TurveyNot Just A HousewifeConfessionsA Bowl Full of LemonsSugar Bee CraftsMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaBella Before & AfterTip Junkie, Sassy Sites!, My Girlish Whims, Savvy Southern Style, DIY By Design, Eisy Morgan, Sew Much AdoBlue Cricket DesignDomestically SpeakingLil LunaHandy Man Crafty WomanThrifty HomeWomen Who Do It All36th AvenueSomeday CraftsThe Shabby Creek CottageSaved By LoveHouse Of HepworthsFireflies & Jellybeans, 504 Main, Chic on a Shoestring, Finding Fabulous, The Shabby Nest, Fun to Craft, Designer Garden, Happy Hour Projects, Serenity NowRemodelaholicdelicateCONSTRUCTION30 DaysDesign It ChicFreckled Laundry, French Country Cottage, Addicted 2 DecoratingTatertots & Jello, Lolly Jane, Be Different Act Normal, Nifty Thrifty Things, The DIY Showoff, Jacque's Soda Parlor, I Heart Nap Time, Under The Table and Dreaming, Skip to my LouThrifty Decor Chick





Labels:

56 Comments:

At August 17, 2011 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Love, Love, Love it! I have been complaining during the process of painting and am so sick of it (we did 4 layers of polyurethane on top of the paint), but after seeing you pregnant and painting I can no longer complain. I also painted my top cabinets a white/cream color and the bottom ones darker. I even thought about that same blue color at one point, but mine look more like your inspiration picture. Thanks for sharing, I love seeing what others are doing in their kitchens.

 
At August 17, 2011 at 11:49 AM , Anonymous Karen @ A Lease to Decorate said...

I love the colors and the change made by raising the cabinets slightly. I can't wait to see it when complete...it is already a huge improvement!

 
At August 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Job, looks like tons of hard work but the results are/will be worth it!

 
At August 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM , Blogger Loraine said...

I love all of it, My husband is not going to be very happy when I tell him that he has to help me raise up the kitchen cabinets this week. You gave me so many good ideas all the way to the bead boards backsplash!! You are so awesome!!!!
Loraine from Breakfast For Dinner.

 
At August 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are too funny! Love your blog! Very inspiring!! Great Job!

 
At August 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM , Blogger . said...

It's looking amazing!! I love the two colors. The beadboard is going to look perfect! Can't wait to see the finished project. :)

 
At August 17, 2011 at 3:05 PM , Blogger Holly in Wonderland said...

i LOVE it! I've been wanting to paint our cabinets for awhile now, but have never decided on the right color. I'm really liking this combo tho!!

Great Job! I can't wait to see the final product! :)

 
At August 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM , Blogger Katie said...

They're looking great! Love that blue with the stainless steel! Can't wait to see the floating shelves and bead board!

 
At August 17, 2011 at 11:46 PM , Blogger Deanna said...

Looks fantastic and I liked seeing your pics as this progressed.
The best to you!
d from homehaven

 
At August 18, 2011 at 11:30 PM , Blogger jayna said...

They look great! I've always loved blue cabinets for some reason, and yours are turning out great. Can't wait to see everything pulled together.

(You look great, too!!)

 
At August 19, 2011 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That looks great!! I so love the idea of cabinets to the ceiling and a floating shelf below...sorry had to steal that photo for "pinterest"..I have to remember that for a later date...

You are the cutest DIY pregnant woman!!!

 
At August 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is so cool! I've looked at the same pictures as your inspiration and wanted to know what it would look like in a real kitchen. I'm a new follower so I can be around when you've added the beaded board and lower shelf. Great job! By the way, I'm a messy painter like you too. And I do paint (and other) projects hugely pregnant! :)

 
At August 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM , Blogger Erin C. Young said...

awesome! i am about to tackle repainting some cabinets and have never done it before - so scared!! Did you use a brush or a roller to paint the cabinets???

 
At August 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Delaney said...

It's looking fabulous!

 
At August 22, 2011 at 8:52 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love your kitchen so far!! I just came over from "Making the World Cuter" and am now a follower. We are debating whether to paint our bottom kitchen cabinets black or grey....your pictures are making me lean towards grey. Great job! Feel free to come visit me
http://blissfullyever-after.blogspot.com :)

~Jennifer

 
At August 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Kathy@ Gone North said...

Wow!! Just plain fabulous!!
Can you share the exact SW color you used... I would love to copy. We are renovating a cottage & the cabinets need to be re-done...
Great transformaton!! & kudos to husband for raising those cabinets
that guy gets the gold star this week... : )

 
At August 22, 2011 at 1:42 PM , Blogger Elisa said...

Girl!!!! It looks so awesome!!!!! Great job on everything! Very cool & inspiring. Not that we own anything to paint or remodel. Last time we were homeowners may very well have been the last. You guys are rockin' it though! I should have known...all that hard work at Jackie's...

 
At August 22, 2011 at 3:30 PM , Anonymous Hill House Creations said...

Love the kitchen so far, can't wait to see it all finished. I share the stigma of being a messy painter, all of my clothes are slowly turning into my "painting clothes"

 
At August 23, 2011 at 2:33 AM , Blogger Delightful Deets said...

Wow, you guys have done so much work! It looks awesome, thanks for the step by step! I love learning stuff like this for when we have a home! Visiting from Homemaker on a Dime!
www.modernwivelyhood.blogspot.com

 
At August 23, 2011 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Little Penpen said...

What an inspiration!! I LOVE this kitchen!! I can already imagine all the pretty beadboard and how gorgeous it will be. I am dying to re-do our kitchen... I love what you've done! ps... I thought it was hilarious that you put your 'before' photo up! :o) You are cute, even with paint all over you!

 
At August 23, 2011 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection said...

Erin - I used a brush, but I think a combo of a super small roller and a brush (for the corners and whatnot) would have worked better. Good luck on your cabinets!

 
At August 23, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Jessica @ FourGenerationsOneRoof said...

Hey great renovation! I finally just got our 70's kitchen pics posted with white cabinets to :) Fun stuff!

 
At August 23, 2011 at 9:41 AM , Blogger JoDee Phillips said...

Wow! I think you must be some sort of super woman--to do all that while 30 weeks preggo! I repainted our cabinets last summer--before we moved into our house--and it was still a huge pain! I can't imagine doing it while living here, using it, AND being pregnant! Go you! The change is amazing! You have me wanting to repaint my lower cabinets, lol--if only I didn't know how much work it entails! ;) Can't wait to see the finished kitchen--it's going to look great!

 
At August 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Mikey Fuller said...

Good luck with the reno! Can't wait to see it finished! You can see the results of my kitchen reno featured in the September Romantic Homes magazine! Stop by my blog for the before and during photos!

Now Following!

~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

 
At August 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM , Blogger Megan Gunyan said...

LOVE! My sister wants to do this with her kitchen so I'm sending her the link. She'll LOVE this version! Very cute!

 
At August 23, 2011 at 9:16 PM , Blogger Just Jaime said...

So impressive, esp with all the work you did being 30 weeks pregnant! It turned out so well!

 
At August 23, 2011 at 9:41 PM , Blogger Jordan McCollum said...

It looks great so far! I'm envying your kitchen's style even on these in between shots. This kind of redo wouldn't work in mine, but I wish it would!

And WTG on persevering through 5 coats!

 
At August 23, 2011 at 11:00 PM , Blogger Debra said...

It's looking good! I really like that bottom color. I can't wait to see it all finished. I also have painting clothes - I am really messy when painting.

 
At August 24, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

I love your painted cabinets! They're so pretty! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

 
At August 24, 2011 at 8:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your kitchen is looking amazing! You guys really put in a lot of hard work and it shows. I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog and check out the giveaway I'm having for a Dremel Trio!

 
At August 24, 2011 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Barbara Pilcher said...

Beautiful! Be proud.

I'm a painter, and I can say that sometimes it takes that many coats to get it right, so good for you for sticking with it. Duration is excellent paint, by the way, so excellent call there.

The idea of raising your cabinets is genius.

Really enjoyed your post. I found you at Handy Man, Crafty Woman.

 
At August 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Ashley said...

looks great! thanks for sharing! you rock!

 
At August 24, 2011 at 12:00 PM , Blogger Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

This is already an amazing redo! But what is so amazing is...you! I hope you get it all finished before the baby arrives.

 
At August 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a big project with a little one running around! I really like how you used white paint on top, gray on bottom. I can't wait to see the finished kitchen. You look super cute pregnant too.

 
At August 24, 2011 at 9:28 PM , Blogger Carol-Anne said...

What a terrific job you're doing! I love it! Hope you'll post the 'final reveal' next week!

 
At August 25, 2011 at 12:33 AM , Blogger Maureen said...

This looks fabulous! And I love your little baby belly helping you along with your painting skills :) I just finished up my kitchen painting project...I know how much work you had to do!
FOund you on Linking with Luna!
http://www.releasemecreations.com

 
At August 25, 2011 at 11:47 PM , Blogger Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Looks absolutely beautiful already! I can't wait to see the finished room!! Would love for you to come share this at Feathered Nest Friday sometime! :)

 
At August 26, 2011 at 1:00 AM , Blogger Michelle @ Dibble Dabble Life said...

I am super impressed, not only have you done an awesome job on your kitchen but you have done it all with a toddler around and a baby in your belly!

I want to paint my kitchen cabinets but haven't worked up the nerve to put in all the work ha ha. You make it look totally doable!

Stopping by from Flaunt it Friday!

 
At August 26, 2011 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Something Nice and Pretty said...

Wow, love it! The beadboard is going to look great with it!

Rondell

 
At August 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM , Blogger Kate said...

I love this! it's so great that you're going bold with the color - it's going to look so great when you're done!

I've been wanting to paint my kitchen cabinets for ages and keep chickening out. You give me hope that I can do it too!

 
At August 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM , Blogger Sandy said...

I love your painted cabinets. I like the white on top with the blue on the bottom. That's a great idea to raise your upper cabinets to ceiling height. I think a shelf running around will be so handy for those items used everyday. I would love to paint my wood oak cabinets. I'm so tired of them. I, too, have painting clothes. I'm a mess when I paint too. And my hubby isn't. Just like yours. Well done and thanks for sharing. It looks just fantastic.

 
At August 26, 2011 at 5:22 PM , Blogger frazzledsugarplummum said...

Very impresed with your chosen design, especially the colour combo and raising the cupboards. How useful it is to have a handy husband and family. Love your photos and yes I have paint clothes too. You are going to have a beautiful kitchen in the end just because you were willing to think out of the box and have a go yourself. Looking forward to seeing the finished look.

 
At August 26, 2011 at 10:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I clicked over from TT&J and, I'm addicted. I adore you "new" kitchen.

 
At August 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM , Blogger Katie Olthoff said...

You are too funny and this is going to be awesome! I need to follow you so I can see how it turns out!

 
At August 27, 2011 at 1:14 AM , Blogger Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

It's looking great!! I love the cabinet color!

xoxo
Jen

 
At August 27, 2011 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Shannon @ DoveNest28 said...

you have done a wonderful job! Great idea to raise the cabinets and put in a shelf. The paint color choice and the execution of it is genius! Will be watching for the final reveal.

 
At August 27, 2011 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Krista-Artista said...

It looks so good already! I can't wait to see it finished. I love it that you went with the blue on the bottom cabinets.
Krista
krista-artista.blogspot.com

 
At August 28, 2011 at 11:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I found your blog from a link on Addicted2Decorating and am totally excited to see your kitchen renovation. I have long been a fan of raising upper cabinets, just makes the space feel roomier. Happy Renovating!
-Cora

 
At August 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I love your color combo. Your kitchen will look beautiful!

 
At August 28, 2011 at 5:32 PM , Blogger Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Well done! Your kitchen is looking great! Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday. I hope you will link up again!

 
At August 29, 2011 at 12:48 AM , Blogger Meaghan McDowell said...

You are seriously brave! I thought painting the bathroom cabinets was going to kill me... I haven't even started the kitchen! Good work I love it! Can't wait to see what else you are up to... I'm your newest follower! :)

Meaghan @ thismessybusiness.com

 
At August 29, 2011 at 4:57 AM , Anonymous Magali @ The Little White House said...

I love the idea of having two different colours on your cabinet, keeping that in a corner of my brain... for my future kitchen remodel. I'm very impressed by that picture of you paiting on the ladder with your belly that big (no offense intended, I'm really jealous of the balance you have while being pregnant!)

 
At August 29, 2011 at 11:16 PM , Blogger The Coffey's said...

LOVE IT! The base color is a fantastic idea with kids. I just painted all of my cabinets white in the past couple of months and have been regretting it ever since. They get so dirty so quickly with little hands or dropped cups of juice. This gives me ideas.

 
At August 31, 2011 at 12:06 AM , Blogger Jacque said...

I want to thank you for linking up on my "Sundae Shake Up". I love your new kitchen! You did a fabulous job.
I have a little bit of information for you. I will not be hosting my "Sundae Shake Up" party until October due to a new project that I'm doing... "30 Day Photo Fun Party"! I will be taking pictures based on a daily theme, and have invited all of my followers and friends to join in on the fun. I would love it, if you joined too. Stop by my blog for more info.

Jacque @ Jacque's Soda Parlor
thesodaparlor.blogspot.com

 
At September 1, 2011 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Looks gorgeous so far! I love the idea of raising the cabinets and using the shelf!

 
At September 7, 2011 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Star Talks said...

This looks great! I love the idea of raising the cabinets. Ugh, now I totally want to do that. If my husband tries to kill me, I am totally blaming you. :) We are in the middle of renovating our kitchen too. Can't wait 'til it's done. And I can't wait to see yours finished! New follower! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home