This Page

has been moved to new address

Ruffle Tree Forest

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Domestic Imperfection: Ruffle Tree Forest

Monday, December 12, 2011

Ruffle Tree Forest

I've been loving all the cute little Christmas trees that are all over blogland this year, so I had to make some of my own. Most of the tutorials you find involve sewing (like at Tatertots & Jello and Shanty 2 Chic), but for whatever reason I've been feeling very anti sewing lately. Also, I don't have ruffler foot for my machine, so I would have to sew by hand....blah. I was however feeling very pro glue gun, so here is my hot glue ruffle tree forest!


I had a whole picture tutorial set up for you guys, but somehow my brand new camera (lost my other one at the zoo last month) and my pretty new laptop (other one took a dump a few months ago) have teamed up against me and started deleting random photos in the transfer process. So here are some pictures, and I'll just have to fill in the blanks with words. Shouldn't be too hard, the whole process is very simple.

First step is to gather your supplies. I used styrofoam cones, wooden finals, and mini wooden candlesticks for  the bases (all found at Hobby Lobby).  You will also need something to make the tree out of, I used leftover fabric, ribbon and some gold rope. My favorite is the ribbon, it was the easiest to do and I think turned out the prettiest.

For the fabric trees, I first cut some fabric strips (about 2 inches wide or so), ironed them in half, then added a  bit of fabric glue to hold it together. 

Actually, right after I took this picture I ran out of fabric glue (used it all for my lampshades), so i just used hot glue. 
To make the tree, all you do is start wrapping it around the cone, gluing as you go. About every inch or so, fold it back over its self ( to form the ruffle) and keep going, like so...

This takes a bit, fortunately Elijah was pretty content playing with the glue sticks and bases.

I wanted a different look for the other fabric trees, so I cut a strip using my pinking shears and glued it on just like that, no folding or ironing required.

When we were decorating our Christmas tree I found a random piece of gold rope in the ornament box, so naturally I decided to make a tree out of it...

Your probably wondering if my toddler was still happily playing with glue sticks. Well no, no he wasn't....

However, Levi (seven weeks) was behaving himself very well. He's my favorite, lol.

I wanted the bases to be different heights, so I made some cuts and glued the pieces to each other (using hot glue! If only hot glue would clean my house...)

Then I painted those suckas white, glued them and the finals to the trees and suddenly it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...
(if your wondering about that epic baby picture, you can read about it here)




I love them! I want to make like twenty more for all the other tables and shelves that are feeling unchristmasy.    Perhaps that would be overkill, lol.


Ashley

Linked to:
My Crazy Beautiful Life, Cherished BlissCoastal Charm, Sassy Sites, My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaSugar Bee Crafts, Tip Junkie, Strictly Homemade, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Oops I Craft My Pants, The Stuff Of SuccessSavvy Southern StyleDIY by DesignEisy MorganGinger Snap CraftsMy Girlish WhimsSew Much AdoBlue Cricket DesignHandy Man Crafty WomanPassionately Artistic, Someday CraftsSouthern LovelyHouse of HepworthsThe Artsy Girl ConnectionThe 36th AvenueYesterday on TuesdayBeyond the Picket fenceSaved By LoveFireflies and JellybeansKatie's Nesting Spot, Delightful Order, Momnivore's DelimmaKissed by a FrogHappy Hour ProjectsFrench Country CottageWhile He Was Napping504 MainWhipperberryFreckled LaundryThe Shabby NestFun to CraftChic on a ShoestringA little Knick KnackSassy SitesSimply Designing, The Crafty NestSerenity Now30 DaysFingerprints on the FridgedelicateCONSTRUCTIONJunk in their TrunkBacon TimeAddicted 2 Decorating, Tatertots and JelloBlissful and DomesticRustic CraftsLolly JaneBe Different Act Normal, I Heart NaptimeNifty Thrifty ThingscraftSinging Three Little BirdsMy 1929 CharmerLines Across My FaceHomemaker on a DimeDittle DattleCraft-O-ManiacSavvy HomemadeDIY Home Sweet HomeUnder the Table and DreamingBetween Naps on the PorchKeeping It SimpleThe Girl CreativeMaking the World CuterThe Southern InstituteSumos Sweet StuffBe ColorfulMad In Crafts

Labels: , ,

52 Comments:

At December 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Cottonwood Tales said...

Love them - great job!

 
At December 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

These are so cute!!! I would love to do these for a shelf in my home...I would love for you to share it at my "18 Days til Christmas" Linky party...

http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2011/12/18-days-til-christmas-linky-party.html

www.mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/
www.facebook.com/MyCrazyBeautifulLife.13
www.pinterest.com/denyse13/

 
At December 12, 2011 at 6:02 PM , Blogger EvA. . . said...

What i lovely idea! They all came out so so cute! I like how you cut the fabric with the scissors! And may i add that your two little bundles adorable! Found you over at Cherished Bliss and I'm your newest follower :)

 
At December 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ohmyword. I love these. I want to make 100 of them. Well, probably not 100, but these are too cute. AND no sewing!

 
At December 12, 2011 at 10:48 PM , Anonymous Erin @ Simply Frugal Mom said...

These are great! I was just thinking that my Christmas-scape could use a little height. I think these would be perfect! Nice job!

 
At December 13, 2011 at 12:54 AM , Blogger Angela Young said...

Cute! If only hot glue would clean my house... now that's funny! I totally agree, though. We're neighbors on A Bowl Full of Lemons link party this week... Thanks for sharing!

 
At December 13, 2011 at 1:56 AM , Anonymous Alissa@CraftyEndeavor said...

bahahahahahahahaha!

I love the professional photograph of your son peeing.

The trees look great too.

 
At December 13, 2011 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Maury @ Life on Mars said...

These are so cute! I love each one! I'm a new follower! i hope you'll follow me back!

 
At December 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Ashley. What a cute forest of holiday topiary trees! Come & post a photo on our StyroCraft Facebook page -- we'd love to see you there! Thanks. Sharon

 
At December 13, 2011 at 5:51 PM , Blogger Lori said...

Great look. I'm a new follower. Stop by and enter to win my Heirloom ornament...only 1 day left to enter. Warm wishes

 
At December 13, 2011 at 11:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I totally understand the urge to make a forest - they come together so nicely, don't they :) And, my computer randomly deleted photos for a while when I first got it, but then one day, it brought them all back. I think it's a conspiracy!

 
At December 14, 2011 at 12:15 AM , Blogger Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Love them. Hot glue is one of my favorite things to use. Your little helpers are adorable, BTW.

 
At December 14, 2011 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Renée said...

YOU sweet mom are amazing and I can't stop laughing. It takes me way back to wanting to have everything merry and bright and babies! You've managed to create both...congratulations and Merry Christmas.

 
At December 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM , Anonymous Corinna said...

Cute! I like the finials at the tops of them.

 
At December 14, 2011 at 12:35 PM , Blogger Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Those turned out so cute!

Visiting from Someday Crafts! Feel free to drop by & say hello!

 
At December 15, 2011 at 11:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

So adorable! I have a similar helper in my kitchen at all times :-)

Thank-you so much for joining up to our Pin'Inspiration Thursday Party. You have helped to make it a real success!

Happy follower, would love if you popped by and grabbed a button :-)

 
At December 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM , Blogger No and Jen said...

love these! thanks for sharing!

itsjustcalledspicy.blogspot.com

 
At December 16, 2011 at 1:21 AM , Blogger Lauren @ mercy(INK) said...

these are great!!! love the patterns and how they look together :) and love the non-glue-stick-loving-toddler ;) blessings! -lauren

 
At December 16, 2011 at 6:05 AM , Blogger Simply Tasheena said...

Very creative! Thanks for sharing.

~Mrs. Delightful
ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

 
At December 16, 2011 at 8:55 AM , Blogger Mindie Hilton said...

Your trees are beautiful. I would love for you to share them at Bacon Time's weekly fri-monday linky.

http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

 
At December 16, 2011 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Ange said...

Great ideas, I love the rope one too! Also the pics of your kids are so fun, thanks for sharing!

 
At December 16, 2011 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

Love these trees!! Love everything about them! I would love for you to come link this up at our link party...junkintheirtrunk.blogspot.com/2011/12/link-it-up-wednesday-7.html

 
At December 16, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, these are so awesome and I especially love that they are no sew for those of us that lack skill in that dept. :)
Beautiful, beautiful! Love the picture of your two little ones too! Hard to get what you wanna get done when our kiddos constantly try to thwart our big plans, huh? :) At least that's how it is at my house.
Stopping by from Serenity Now!

 
At December 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM , Blogger Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Now I have another thing that I want to make this Christmas - thanks for the inspiration! Stopping by from Serenity Now.

 
At December 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Renee said...

Adorable! I'm all over the no sew part!

 
At December 16, 2011 at 1:24 PM , Anonymous elaine said...

Those are adorable! Great job :)

 
At December 16, 2011 at 3:25 PM , Anonymous Renee @ Rustic Crafts said...

I'm a new follower!! I love this idea and would love to have you share this at my Christmas link party over at Rustic Crafts ~ http://rustic-crafts.com/?p=3698
I hope to see you there!
Renee

 
At December 16, 2011 at 4:37 PM , Blogger Lifes Little Distractions said...

new follower :)
very cute gonna have to do this next year
pls follow back :)
http://mymedicinemayhem.blogspot.com/

 
At December 16, 2011 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

These are beautiful! I love the one with the pinked edge best! Can't wait to try these!

 
At December 16, 2011 at 9:47 PM , Blogger Blissful & Domestic said...

I absolutely love this!! So cute and festive! I'd love for you to link up to my Feature Friday Linky Party

http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2011/12/feature-friday-linky-party_15.html

 
At December 16, 2011 at 10:54 PM , Blogger Katie @ Creatively Living said...

Very cute! I love that they are no sew!!!

-Katie
www.blah2beautiful.blogspot.com
Creatively Living Outside the Box

 
At December 17, 2011 at 3:36 AM , Anonymous abeachcottage said...

They are so cute and really easy to make. Thanks for the tutorial and that baby pic is classic!

 
At December 17, 2011 at 11:46 PM , Blogger Richelle Nicole said...

These are fabulous! I'm imagining a few made from my scrap stash! Thanks for the inspiration!
Rinni @ Rinni'sPlayground

 
At December 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM , Blogger My Duong said...

Everything no sew is great!!! Would love love love for you to share this at our party going on now http://space46.blogspot.com/2011/12/co-hosting-pinteresting-link-party-week.html. Happy holiday! My

 
At December 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM , Anonymous Andrea said...

These are adorable, I can't wait to make a small army of them! The finial top is perfect, and I love the varied heights of the trees.

 
At December 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM , Anonymous Steph said...

Super cute! I love how you showed what the kiddos were doing. So often I see posts from moms with this perfectly made item, and Im thinking WTH are the kids doing... LOL, now I know!!

 
At December 18, 2011 at 9:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love these!! Super neat...so are the kids!

 
At December 18, 2011 at 10:56 PM , Blogger Lindsay said...

These are so gorgeous! Just wanted to let you know that you had the most views of the Show & Share party! Congrats! I will be featuring this tomorrow!

 
At December 18, 2011 at 11:23 PM , Blogger AttemptingAloha said...

Great job! Love the little stands!

Aloha,
Charlie

 
At December 19, 2011 at 12:37 AM , Blogger Lolly Jane said...

So cute. Pinned these!

 
At December 19, 2011 at 5:35 AM , Anonymous E @ Act Fast Chef said...

love these and LOVE that picture :)

 
At December 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM , Blogger An Oasis in the Desert said...

These are so darn cute, super-cute, & would use up some of my scraps. Thanks for sharing!
CAS

 
At December 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM , Anonymous Lori said...

I love these! So simple and classy. Next year, I'll make some-no time this year. Your boys are adorable!

 
At December 19, 2011 at 11:05 PM , Blogger Marie said...

These are super cute! Thanks for linking up to Show & Share! I’m featuring you! Feel free to come grab a button!
http://mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com/2011/12/show-share-18-features.html

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

 
At December 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Mindie Hilton said...

Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time. I hope your Christmas is as magical as your lovely decor'.

 
At December 21, 2011 at 12:18 AM , Blogger Be Colorful Coastal said...

love these and I haven't seen them all over the internet . To me they were new and fresh. I love how you always show your wee ones and what they are doing while you are creating. Such a fun look into your world. Merry Merry Christmas and thank you for linking this up to Motivated Monday at BeColorful
Pam

 
At December 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

These are fabulously cute!! I love them! Thank you so much for linking up with the frog last week. You will be featured during this week's linky party and will also be one of the frog favorite friends of the week!! Happy Holidays & HUGS~
Jenni

 
At December 22, 2011 at 2:33 PM , Anonymous cathy@my1929charmer said...

Really adorable. All of then are quite unique and adorable, and you did a great job. Thanks for sharing over at Sunday's Best and happy holidays!

 
At December 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM , Blogger Krisztina Clifton said...

I'm so glad I found you on The Sunday Scoop! You had me at "no-sew". These are so pretty and so easy.

 
At January 3, 2012 at 2:43 AM , Blogger Ashlee Marie said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's. Your ruffled trees turned out amazing! I'm featuring them today!

 
At January 3, 2012 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

These are so adorable! Can't wait to make them with my girls. So glad I found you over at Sugar Bee Crafts.
Hugs!

 
At February 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the trees! Love the kids too. I used to spend naptime being productive. Now I have teens and find I finally have time once again. :)

Thanks for sharing your ideas for the rest of us.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home