This Page

has been moved to new address

A Chalkboard For The Kitchen

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Domestic Imperfection: A Chalkboard For The Kitchen

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Chalkboard For The Kitchen


For awhile now I've wanted a message board for the kitchen. Mostly because the Husband gets up before me to go to work, and he is always saying that he doesn't know what to eat for breakfast. So I needed a place to list all his breakfast options for him. I know that sounds silly and kinda weird, but its the truth!

My mom was cleaning out her attic and asked me if I wanted this old frame she found. It was big enough that I instantly though of my much needed "what the heck am I gonna eat for breakfast" message board, so I brought it home.


The first step was to clean it....it was up there for awhile!


Then I painted it in the same color as our kitchen cabinets.

I found a scrap piece of plywood and measured and cut it to size. And yes, I totally did this inside...its like 110 degrees outside. Shhh, don't tell the Husband.

Then I sanded and painted it. I used a paintbrush because I wasn't thinking about it, but a roller would have been much better. I did four coats in all.

My staple gun was nowhere to be found, so I used wood glue to affix it to the frame. Here it is drying...the little helper wanted to make sure there was enough weight on it.

That's right, you just witnessed a mess. Let's not pretend that I sit around in my perfectly clean house and do crafts all day. I wouldn't want to give anyone a false impression that my house always looks nice!

I read somewhere that before writing on it you should cover the whole thing in chalk - or else you'll always see the first thing you write on it.

And here we have it, in all its breakfast options and netflix reminding glory!



Here's the thing though, I'm not totally in love with it. It looks kinda dark and gothic to me. I'll probably leave it for now, since we have so many other projects going on - but if anyone has any brilliant suggestions how how to make it happier, than I'd love to hear!

Labels:

12 Comments:

At September 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Bethany Cermak said...

I've been wanting to do this for a while too, and I agree it is pretty dark. Paint it white to match the door/trim. It'll look great!

~Bethany
www.tipton-cermak.com

 
At September 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM , Blogger Lively Luckinbills said...

Since there is plenty of room on the chalkboard, you could add a fun/bright matting around it in some scrapbook paper.

 
At September 7, 2011 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

The chalkboard part doesn't have to be black. Here's a link to make your own in any color you like. http://www.marthastewart.com/271574/custom-color-chalkboard-paint

 
At September 7, 2011 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

My vote goes for painting the frame white to match the trim. It seems like the easiest option :) Although that link to different colored chalkboard paint is awesome!

 
At September 8, 2011 at 6:44 AM , Blogger Elsa said...

I think the color works, but if you want to lighten it up, I agree that you should probably change the frame color to white. Or maybe just paint part of the frame white??

 
At September 8, 2011 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Cottonwood Tales said...

I too was going to suggest white frame !!

Love it though !!

 
At September 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Ashley @ Domestic Imperfection said...

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I would just paint it white and be done with it, except that when we do our beadboard backsplash we are going to go around the entire kitchen/dining area. So then it would be white on white...perhaps that would be fine, or maybe the blue would look better on white..I also saw on Pinterest that you can do fabric and spray glue on a frame. I just don't know! I think I'll just wait till the beadboard is up and go from there. Keep the suggestions coming though!

 
At September 13, 2011 at 7:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe just a white glaze or white wash on the frame..not enough to completely cover the color just to make the details on the frame pop.

 
At September 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

If you're gonna have white walls, it's going to look entirely different. I'd wait and see what you think after the white walls are up.

 
At September 15, 2011 at 9:41 AM , Blogger Abby said...

Your chalkboard is SO much better than mine. I need a huge frame. Well, I need a few huge frames for my long list of projects. I did the make-your-own-chalkboard-paint thing (from the martha stewart link listed above) and, well, maybe I just didn't mix it enough because the chalk doesn't show up very well. I used a greenish paint tone, I liked it better than black. Now seeing yours, I think I should have just stuck with the black.
BTW, I love the way it looks and it will be even better with the beadboard walls!

 
At September 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about silver leaf for the frame?

 
At January 20, 2012 at 3:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok i have an idea why dont you use some of your fabric and cover the chalkboard part (sorry know you just painted it lol) and then find you a piece of glass that fits and cover the fabric now you can write on it with a dry erase marker and just wipe it off everyday!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home