This Page

has been moved to new address

Two Weeks Of Countertops

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Domestic Imperfection: Two Weeks Of Countertops

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Two Weeks Of Countertops

When reading this post, you might think that this looked like we did it all in one really long day. Oh, how wrong you are. This post covers almost a two week time frame..starting with removing the sink on day two, and replacing it with a new one on day twelve. What did we do for eleven days without our kitchen sink? Well, you will just have to read on to find out (unless, of course, you are a dedicated follower, then you already know!)

If your just joining us, here is the link to the previous photo bomb post about painting and raising the cabinets.
Also, just for a refresher, here is the before picture taken just after we moved in and our two inspiration photos...



So here we go! We chose butcher block for our countertops for a couple of reasons. First, we really like the look. Second and most important, they were affordable. We got quotes for all the other types of countertops...granite, marble, corian, laminate...everything was over $2,000. We bought our counters (12ft and 8ft) from Lumber Liquidators for $750 in cherry (plus $14 cash back from Ebates...love Ebates!). I thought for sure we were going to stain them before sealing, but the Husband (who comes from a family of woodworkers) claims that it's a sin to stain cherry. I wasn't too sure about that, then we applied the first coat of sealer and they already looked so much better.  This is us doing the first coat on the underside using Waterlox.   

Your going to notice in these pictures that 1) I'm not in any of them and 2) all the men in them look kinda alike. Well, I had to be on toddler duty and work the camera. Plus, this task was pretty much mans work and super pregnant ladies just don't make the cut. And all the men look alike because it's the Husband and two of his brothers. Here his Adam and is older brother Keith making the very first cut. 

Inside, Taylor (younger brother) and I started demo. While removing the backsplash we noticed some pretty funky stuff happening behind them. 

And here we go, with the removal of the sink. Oh gosh, I hated that sink.

Then the rest was removed (drink in hand, I might add).


The next step was the cutting the hole for the undermount sink. I was told that this was a huge pain because we didn't have the correct tools.

What they ended up doing was taping the template to a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood and cutting that out first.


Then they used that template to cut out the hole using what tools we had.

After much cutting, routing, and sanding...we have a sink hole!

On the underside of our 45 degree joint they added these brackets...cause we like our stuff sturdy!

Here is the countertops all installed without any sealant. We ended up doing five coats of Waterlox (applied with a foam brush) and letting each coat dry for 24 hours. Before the final coat we sanded with 400 grit sandpaper and its smooth as silk!

While this was happening, I was doing dishes and all other kitchen sink activities in....

the bathtub!

After our final coat of Waterlox was dried it was really REALLY time for the sink. I only have one picture of the process because I was at a bible study for the rest. Usually you would install the sink before the counter is installed, but because of the size and angle of ours, we installed the counters first. I was told this made for a very difficult sink installation. Sometimes its nice to be a girl :)

I do, however, have pictures of the finished product!








The next step is the beadboard backsplash and open shelving. We also need to finish up some things we missed along the way - like that crooked drawer and the toekick for example.

As for the countertop on the bar area, we aren't quite sure what to do. We've though about having it wrapped in stainless steel or seeing if we can get some scrap granite (since the Husband works for a construction company). We are up for something a little funky as well, if anyone has a suggestion!

And now, ladies and gentleman - the price breakdown. Since I forgot this part in the last kitchen post, we'll start there. 

Blue/gray Duration form Sherwin Williams - $35 on sale (only used about 1/4 of the gallon)
Quart white Duration paint, also from SW - $15
New hinges - $50
Plywood for shelves in lower cabinets - $20
Butcher block countertops (including shipping and tax) - $750
Stainless sink - $145
Delta Leland faucet in stainless - $190
Quart of Waterlox - $30
Extras such as foam brushes, caulk, brackets, shelf clips, sandpaper, etc - $45

Total so far - $ 1,280

Not bad, if I may say so myself. The beadboard shouldn't be very expensive and I'm sure we can finish the whole thing for under $2000 (including lighting, shelving, new trim, everything). I think that would make for a successful budget kitchen remodel!



Linked to:








Labels:

47 Comments:

At September 11, 2011 at 5:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love your countertops!

 
At September 11, 2011 at 6:10 PM , Blogger CometGirl63 said...

here's a fun and different idea for your other counter: http://www.epbot.com/2010/09/money-money-money.html

 
At September 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM , Blogger Star Talks said...

those countertops look GREAT!!!!! good choice with the butcher block!

 
At September 11, 2011 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Katie said...

It's looking awesome so far!! The guys did a great job with the countertops!!

 
At September 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Simply Mily said...

it's looking amazing!!!!! how cool =)

 
At September 11, 2011 at 9:42 PM , Blogger Evie said...

Wow. It looks so beautiful and I'm green with envy! I want wood countertops SO BADLY!! But I'm a little scared (okay maybe a lot) of staining...how has it held up for you?? I'd love to hear!

evie @ brown paper packages

 
At September 12, 2011 at 6:27 AM , Anonymous Karen said...

The countertops are amazing. I absolutely love the cherry. It really pops against the blue!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 7:48 AM , Blogger Deborah March said...

Your new kitchen must make you smile every time you go in there...really lovely re-do...
Deborah (happily visiting from
http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com...hope you can stop by too...)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 9:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors. I can't wait to see what it looks like all complete!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 10:16 AM , Anonymous susan said...

I looove your counter tops!! I have been thinking about butcher block for a while. Your kitchen transformation is going to be amazing!!!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Oh my gosh, I absolutely adore this. Fantastic job!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 1:05 PM , Blogger deb said...

Beautiful!
*hugs*deb

 
At September 12, 2011 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Your counters are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 2:19 PM , Blogger FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh my goodness, I love to see your butcher block counters, they're great!!...we had them in our other house and we loved them,in this new one we have granite and our breakfast nook table is butcher block, so to work in it too when I need to prepare more food! Congrats, they're the best! Hugs,
FABBY

 
At September 12, 2011 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Sandy said...

How very happy seeing the transformation of your kitchen must be making you and your family.. I went through the same thing months ago and I still walk into the space with a big smile.. (especially my new sink).... It looks so good! Great Job!
Sandy

 
At September 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Totally LOVE your countertops.

I redid my kitchen a few years ago, and had REALLY cheap wood put in, and no extra bolts, etc, :( So mine are looking pretty sad at the joints, but I STILL love them so much. Waterlox is the best, totally love that sealer!

Your hubby and his brothers did s SUPER great job, I wish I got a drop in sink too, it looks great!!

I would LOVE to invite you to check out my weekly parties. I would be so happy if you linked up, this and any other fabulous project you are working on. MAYBE even add me to your party LIST (yikes). That would be RAD!!!
Stop by anytime to say hello!!!
Hugs, Bella :)
**AMAZE ME AUGUST** @ Bella Before and After Any projects, recipes, diy welcome.
Euro Style Cakes. My cake blog :)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM , Blogger Be Colorful Coastal said...

Looks fantabulous. I think I will invite myself over for dinner and a cocktail. :) Thanks so much for linking up your inspiring kitchen to Becolorful. I know everyone will love it.
Pam

 
At September 13, 2011 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Valerie said...

This looks very pretty! Super impressed with your work, great color and design choices!

 
At September 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM , Blogger liZ said...

Oh, I'm so jealous. Your counter tops are beautiful!
liZ
(simplesimonandco)

 
At September 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Everything looks great! I love the colors you chose and the butcher block counters are so warm looking. You'll have to keep us updated on how well they hold up! It seems like you applied plenty of sealer to insure that they do though.:)

 
At September 13, 2011 at 10:53 PM , Blogger Marilyn said...

Super awesome.. Love it..Hello there.. I'm following ya officially from the inspiration board hop..Lovely blog you have here.Can't wait to read more.. Hope you can stop by & visit me sometime / follow back.. TY So much.. Have a great week.Marilyn from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com ps: Would love for you to participate in a pinterest linky :)) TY

 
At September 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Simply gorgeous!

 
At September 14, 2011 at 8:05 PM , Blogger Lindsay said...

I am so impressed! I can't believe you made your own counter tops! Awesome job! And now you have these beautiful counters! I would love for you to share this @ Show & Share-

http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/09/show-share-5.html

 
At September 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM , Blogger Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Lovely! Just lovely! Thanks for linking to Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

 
At September 15, 2011 at 10:23 PM , Blogger Susie Q said...

Husband is a custom cabinetmaker and he installed butcher block countertops in a custom home 2 years ago. Seems the trend in higher end homes ($750-1.1M and up) seems to be BACK to the butcher block. Seems that all the granite & stainless etc makes kitchens cold...there has to be more wood in them. We rent and I would LOVE to replace ours with butcher block...am seriously considering painting them....yours are stunning.

 
At September 16, 2011 at 7:44 AM , Anonymous Rachael@LovelyCraftyHome said...

Looks GREAT!! I would die for these countertops!

 
At September 16, 2011 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Blissful Blooms said...

BEEEEEEAUTIFUL!! We are planning on changing our counter tops to butcher block- I can't wait to show my hubbie our post. It turned out absolutely gorgeous!

 
At September 16, 2011 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Your countertops look gorgeous! Found you from the Serenity Now party today.

 
At September 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM , Blogger Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

They are beautiful!

 
At September 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM , Blogger Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

They are beautiful!

 
At September 16, 2011 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Angie Holden said...

These countertops are gorgeous!! nice job!!

 
At September 16, 2011 at 12:25 PM , Blogger Jacqueline said...

I totally want to have your countertops! We have pink tile, yeah gross but I'm dealing with it for now. I was also told by my dad to never stain or paint cherry....you guys did a great job and I really like the blue on the bottom cabinets!

 
At September 17, 2011 at 12:27 PM , Blogger Modern Frills said...

I love the butcher block countertops paired with the grey! looks fabulous!

 
At September 17, 2011 at 7:55 PM , Anonymous Upscale Downhome said...

Thanks for the information on your new countertops. They look fabulous! I've been wanting to try this in my kitchen and it's always nice to have posts for reference. Great job!

 
At September 18, 2011 at 8:05 AM , Anonymous Ingrid@morestylethancash said...

Your pictures of doing the dishes in the tub made me laugh...and reminded me of our own kitchen renovations. (I was sooo happy to get that over with).

It looks great!

 
At September 18, 2011 at 9:33 PM , Blogger Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Wow! These countertops were certainly worth those weeks. They are beautiful! Thank you so much for linking up at Savvy HomeMade Monday and I hope you will party again tomorrow!

 
At September 19, 2011 at 4:53 AM , Anonymous Promosyon said...

Your kitchen transformation is going to be amazing. Thanks for the information on your new countertops. They look fabulous!

 
At September 20, 2011 at 12:01 AM , Blogger Ashlee Marie said...

I LOVE it! What a gorgeous look, that wood is divine! I'm featuring this on Topsy Turvy Tuesday's! Thanks for linking up.

 
At September 20, 2011 at 3:11 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

My gosh that is wonderful!! I love it! And so jealous of all your space!!
Thanks for linking up to Southern Lovely's Show & Share!! We hope to see you tomorrow!!

 
At September 23, 2011 at 1:51 PM , Blogger Elisa said...

Amazing!! I looove the one giant sink and I just pinned the crap out of this post. Hah. Great job!

 
At October 2, 2011 at 2:35 AM , Blogger Rita said...

They look great! I am looking for ideas on my counters. WIll send this to my hubby asking if he can make these for me LOL

 
At October 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM , Blogger the misfit said...

I found your post from TDC's linky party and I am over the moon with this project. First of all, your second inspiration pic is my most inspiring kitchen inspiration pick of all time, and I, too, had decided to do slate blue on the bottom and white on the top. Second, I also have a kitchen with short cabinets and a lot of ceiling height to take up. Mine are way too HIGH on the wall, and I was thinking I would replace them with some used cabinets (hoping to find some that are solid wood - mine are not) but you've given me a lot to think about with the open-shelving-under-the-cabinets idea. Finally, I am also planning to do butcher block countertops for the most part, and I've been toying with the idea of another material for a little bit of my counter. I'm thinking of using a soapstone remnant from this source: http://www.soapstones.com/store/buy_soapstone_slabs.html. Right now it doesn't have much that's helpful, but that link changes regularly and they often have a large assortment of different sizes of soapstone slab remnants, at great prices. (Plus, soapstone is not hard like granite, so you can do the finish work yourself without stone-cutting tools.)

So...in case my link is helpful, I'd like to propose a little trade...I don't suppose you'd share the paint colors you used for the slate and white?

Awesome job on the kitchen!

 
At October 26, 2011 at 8:30 AM , Anonymous Kitchen Benchtops said...

I have a butcher block right now but want to increase the size. I'll be anxiously waiting to see how your project turns out as I've been looking for idea of butcher block too. Thanks for the great tutorial.

 
At December 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM , Blogger Deena Smith said...

Great post! We are looking to put granite countertops in my New Jersey home-I would like butcher block though! We'll see who wins this one, me or the husband! Great job-looks beautiful!

 
At January 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM , Blogger Jaimee @ Havenwood House of Boys said...

wow. It's stunning! Gooood work!

 
At January 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM , Anonymous granite richmond said...

That's looks awesome. Great work

 
At January 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Barb J. said...

I love the natural look of the butcher block, especially in cherry. The kitchen looks great!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home