This Page

has been moved to new address

My Big Fat Nursery Chair

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Domestic Imperfection: My Big Fat Nursery Chair

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Big Fat Nursery Chair

My nursery list is dwindling! Good thing, cause so is my time to complete it. Here is a picture of my nursery chair as of last week. It was given to me by my mom, who got it from a garage sale a looong time ago. (Update: After posting this my mom called to let me know that she actually didn't get this at a garage sale, but rather found it on the side of the road while on a walk. Just the chair - the ottoman she made. Looks like trash chairs are a recurring theme around here!) She recovered and painted it, so my before picture is her after picture....except for the big fat mystery stain on the seat. I forgot to take a closer picture for y'all...bummer, I know.


It's not the most refined chair, it's really just made out of a bunch of 2 x 4's. It's heavy and huge...we had to take off the bedroom door to get it in there. It's perfect because you can't hurt it. Well, I say that, but the second Elijah realized that the ottoman opened, he broke it. Thing wasn't designed with toddlers in mind. I ended up putting larger screws in the hinge and adding a chain to catch the lid before it opens to far.

I sanded everything down and glued and puttied where needed. I wanted to paint it white... even though it was already white. Turns out I wasn't wasting my time!

Next I recovered the ottoman lid, bringing the fabric all the way to the underside and nailing into place. I didn't want to mess with trim and I like how this turned out. Clean and simple.

For the actual recovering of the seat we packed up and went to my Mom's. I've never recovered anything like that before and she made the old cover, so I figured I'd enlist her help! I even managed to put a shirt on my normally naked boy for our trip to Grandma's...I'm not quite sure how we never got to the pants part.

To make the pattern we (carefully) ripped apart the old cushion covers and laid them out on our fabric. We pinned them into place and cut to make our new shapes.

There's even a zipper on the whole thing...I know we're going to end up with more big fat mystery stains, so being able to wash it is a plus!

....aaaaand that's the end of my how to pictures.  I had to go (dinner waits for no one) and Mom generously offered to finish it up for me.  Aren't moms great?

 I know that's DIY blog cheating. But there was no way I was going to turn her down. To finish from here basically all you do is pin the pieces together inside out, sew, and flip.

Anyway, here it is all finished!


And here it is next to the new book slings
(They actually match better than it looks like in this picture)


Next up is the closet. It's still that horrible salmon pink color from when we first moved in, so a fresh coat of white (and perhaps a stencil?) is on order. Oh, and a lot of organizing. There's a reason that door is shut!

Linked To:



Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

At September 21, 2011 at 2:28 PM , Blogger Star Talks said...

looks great!!!!!

 
At September 22, 2011 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Elisa said...

Ohh...so pretty! Love your fabric choices.

 
At September 23, 2011 at 7:29 PM , Blogger Mikki said...

It's now perfectly charming!

I've awarded you the Kreativ Blogger Award. You can find the post at http://momsbestnest.blogspot.com/2011/09/kreativ-blogger-award-thanks-gotomommy.html
and (if you're inclined to) you can pass it on!

 
At September 24, 2011 at 10:12 PM , Anonymous Jami Graham said...

Looks amazing! I'm sure you'll get it al knocked out before the baby comes...I have almost given up on this hope for me! :p

 
At September 25, 2011 at 9:22 PM , Blogger Nan ~ Playful Decor said...

Hi Ashley, you did a great job on that chair! I'd love for you to link up to Tuesday's Nursery party. I'll open the links late Monday, but feel free to get a button to help remember! I'm so impressed with all the changes you've been making in your house - saw the kitchen! We have a whole house to do and its slow going here... :) Hope you can make the party on Tuesday!

 
At September 25, 2011 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

This looks sooo great! Happy I found your blog

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

 
At September 26, 2011 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Decor To Adore said...

Oh I just love your sweet seat! I hope you will add your lovely metamorphosis to my Fall in Love linky party on Wednesday.

Until then, stop by and see the under $20 makeover I gave an ugly brass light fixture.

Happy Monday!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 12:32 PM , Blogger Katie said...

Beautiful job! Love the chair and the fabric! I realized just now (sometimes it takes me awhile) that I continuously click on your links at linky parties and I love everything that you do. Happy to be following you now so I don't have to just stumble upon your great ideas!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 3:25 PM , Anonymous Gwen@theboldabode said...

Your fabric is fabulous! I love the modern, vibrant colors and print!

 
At September 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Blogger Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Your little guys is SO cute! Oh my goodness. :)

PS I have a $50 cash giveaway going on at my blog right now. Come by when you have a chance! :)

 
At September 27, 2011 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Sara said...

So cute!! Would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/09/turquoise-lovin-6.html

 
At September 27, 2011 at 1:33 PM , Blogger Cassie Bustamante said...

i love it! that fabric makes it so fun! great choice!

 
At September 27, 2011 at 3:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

everything looks like it is turning out perfect, I love the chair

craftedbymama.blogspot.com

 
At September 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM , Blogger oops! said...

Wow, what a project! It is really great! The fabric is adorable!

 
At September 28, 2011 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I love the fabric you choose, what a great redo. I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog and check out the giveaway I'm having for a Dremel Saw Max!

 
At September 28, 2011 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Tanya said...

Awesome re-do! I love a good, sturdy chair.

 
At September 30, 2011 at 1:14 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

This is really cute!! It's amazing what paint and new fabric can do.

 
At October 1, 2011 at 12:54 AM , Blogger SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Hi! I featured this here, pinned on Pinterest and posted on fb. Thanks for linking up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home